design.fashion.style.life

Friday, June 11, 2010

Print me up!

I have never put a big emphasis on print in any of previous collections, I've mostly created interest in surface manipulation or just in the silhouette and shape of the garments, but this year we were told to create our own prints to give the collection an element of individuality and differentiate it from ALL the other student collections that are created in the other fashion courses. I was a little bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the semester, because of my lack of experience in creating prints for a collection, but finally after weeks and weeks of experimentation and playing with colours, scales and repeats I have created a digital print that will work throughout my collection. I'm really happy with what I've come up with, it works in most of the colours from my colour palette and is graphic enough to work in swimwear as well as in other garments in my collection.

I was aiming for an organic, painterly and most importantly feminine feeling to come through and I think I've been able to achieve that in the final print and let me tell you it feels good to come up with a print that I'm happy with after working on it for such a long time. I can breathe a small sigh of relief at one thing that's been ticked on the long list that is creating a collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment