design.fashion.style.life

Monday, April 5, 2010

Puriste de la mode




Madeline Vionnet - a pioneer of the bias cut and art the draping, she was responsible for the transformation of the female silhouette in the early 1900's, she was a revolutionary designer and is still making an impact on the world of fashion design today.

When researching her work further for my dissertation I discovered that there recently was an exhibition held in her honour at Les Arts Decoratifs in Paris and whilst I'm about 2 months too late and about $2000 short of a plane ticket to Paris (it was held from June 2009 to Jan 2010) I have still spent a few too many hours pouring through the catalogue of the exhibition, being inspired by her amazing garments and beautifully feminine details. She has been credited with the 'emancipation of the female body' which is a key element of what I hope to do in my own collection.




Images from NYT - www.nyt.com/slideshow/2009/

No comments:

Post a Comment